EHC Plans


An Education, Health and Care (EHC) plan is a legal document that replaced Statements of SEN and Learning Difficulties Assessments. An EHC Plan details a child or young person’s special educational, health and social care needs. It explains the extra help that they require and must legally be provided by education, health and/or social care in order to meet those needs and support the child or young person to achieve what they want to in their life. A young person can have an EHC plan up until the age of 25 providing they are in education or training.

In order to obtain an EHC plan a request must be made to the local authority for an EHC needs assessment. This is usually made by the child’s educational setting if they are unable to meet the child’s needs within their funding allocation.  However a child’s parents or the young person themselves (if aged over 16) can make this request themselves.

If you are considering requesting an assessment for your child, it is best to consult with your child’s school first. Similarly If the school is thinking of making a request for EHC assessment for your child, they should consult with you. If the local authority decides to undertake an EHC assessment then they will inform you of their decision in writing and will arrange for professionals to contribute to the assessment through written reports based on observations and assessments of your child. The local authority will seek a view from a medical professional, an educational psychologist, social services (if your child is known to them), the child’s school, and any relevant therapists. An EHC Assessment may or may not lead to the creation of an EHC Plan.


Time-scales and the main points of EHC Assessment

  • Once a request is submitted to the Local Authority, they have six weeks to decide whether to assess.
  • If they decide to carry out an EHC assessment they have a further ten weeks to complete this and gather evidence.
  • At the end of this time (sixteen weeks from the initial request being accepted) the LA must either issue a draft plan or if they decide not to, they must write to the parents at this time and explain their reasons.
  • The draft plan should then be reviewed by the parents and young person and it is at this stage parents and the young person will be asked to name the type of school/college they want e.g. mainstream or special school and the specific school/college they want to have named in the EHC plan. The LA will then consult with the named placement and the plan should be finalised and sent by the end of week twenty.
  • Once the plan is finalised the LA will have a legal duty to secure the educational provision specified in the EHC plan, that is, to ensure that the provision is delivered.

If the Local Authority decides not to carry out an EHC Assessment

If the Local Authority decides not to assess your child, it must write and tell you and the school its reasons. If you or your child’s school still feel that more needs to be done, talk to the school. The local authority could also think about other ways of helping your child, including getting in some outside help.

Your local authority should tell you about local arrangements mediating any disagreement informally and how long it should take. You also have a right to appeal to the Special Educational Needs and Disability Tribunal, an independent organisation. It is important that you begin any appeal to the Tribunal within the time limit as the Tribunal is likely to refuse to hear your appeal if you are late. Under the new SEN legislation, it is mandatory to consider mediation before lodging an appeal to the SEND Tribunal.

For advice on appealing any decisions please contact Full of Life’s Information Advice and Support Service (IASS), Allison Ambrogi on Tel: 0208 960 9064 Email:

Share this page

Address Book Address Card adjust align-center align-justify align-left align-right Allergies ambulance American Sign Language Interpreting Anchor Angle Double Down Angle Double Left Angle Double Right Angle Double Up angle-down angle-left angle-right angle-up Archive Alternate Arrow Circle Down Alternate Arrow Circle Left Alternate Arrow Circle Right Alternate Arrow Circle Up Arrow Circle Down Arrow Circle Left Arrow Circle Right Arrow Circle Up arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up Alternate Arrows Alternate Arrows Horizontal Alternate Arrows Vertical Assistive Listening Systems asterisk At Audio Description backward Balance Scale ban Band-Aid barcode Bars Baseball Ball Basketball Ball Bath Battery Empty Battery Full Battery 1/2 Full Battery 1/4 Full Battery 3/4 Full Bed beer bell Bell Slash Bicycle Binoculars Birthday Cake Blind bold Lightning Bolt Bomb book bookmark Bowling Ball Box Box Open Boxes Braille Briefcase Medical Briefcase Bug Building bullhorn Bullseye Burn Bus Calculator Calendar Alternate Calendar Calendar Check Calendar Minus Calendar Plus Calendar Times camera Retro Camera Capsules Car Caret Down Caret Left Caret Right Caret Square Down Caret Square Left Caret Square Right Caret Square Up Caret Up Shopping Cart Arrow Down Add to Shopping Cart certificate Area Chart Bar Chart Line Chart Pie Chart Check Check Circle Check Square Chess Chess Bishop Chess Board Chess King Chess Knight Chess Pawn Chess Queen Chess Rook Chevron Circle Down Chevron Circle Left Chevron Circle Right Chevron Circle Up chevron-down chevron-left chevron-right chevron-up Child Circle Circle Notched Clipboard Clipboard Check Clipboard List Clock Clone Closed Captioning Cloud Cloud Download Alternate Cloud Upload Alternate Code Code Branch Coffee cog cogs Columns comment Alternate Comment Comment Dots Comment Slash comments Compass Compress Copy Copyright Couch Credit Card crop Crosshairs Cube Cubes Cut Database Deaf Desktop Diagnoses DNA Dollar Sign Dolly Dolly Flatbed Dot Circle Dove Download Edit eject Horizontal Ellipsis Vertical Ellipsis Envelope Envelope Open Envelope Square eraser Euro Sign Alternate Exchange exclamation Exclamation Circle Exclamation Triangle Expand Alternate Expand Arrows Alternate External Link Alternate External Link Square Eye Eye Dropper Eye Slash fast-backward fast-forward Fax Female fighter-jet File Alternate File Archive File Audio File Code File Excel File Image File Medical File Medical File Alternate PDF File Powerpoint File Video File Word File Film Filter fire fire-extinguisher First Aid flag flag-checkered Flask Folder Folder Open font Font Awesome Full Logo Football Ball forward Frown Futbol Gamepad Gavel Gem Genderless gift Martini Glass Globe Golf Ball Graduation Cap H Square Hand Holding Hand Holding Heart Hand Holding US Dollar Lizard (Hand) Paper (Hand) Peace (Hand) Hand Pointing Down Hand Pointing Left Hand Pointing Right Hand Pointing Up Pointer (Hand) Rock (Hand) Scissors (Hand) Spock (Hand) Hands Helping Hands Handshake Hashtag HDD heading headphones Heart Heartbeat History Hockey Puck home hospital Hospital Alternate Hospital Symbol Hourglass Hourglass End Hourglass Half Hourglass Start I Beam Cursor Identification Badge Identification Card Identification Card Alternate Image Images inbox Indent Industry Info Info Circle italic key Keyboard Language Laptop leaf Lemon Level Down Alternate Level Up Alternate Life Ring Lightbulb Link Turkish Lira Sign List List Alternate list-ol list-ul location-arrow lock Lock Open Alternate Long Arrow Down Alternate Long Arrow Left Alternate Long Arrow Right Alternate Long Arrow Up Low Vision magic magnet Male Map map-marker Map Marker Alternate Map Pin Map Signs Mars Mars Double Mars Stroke Mars Stroke Horizontal Mars Stroke Vertical medkit Meh Mercury Microchip microphone Microphone Slash minus Minus Circle Minus Square Mobile Phone Alternate Mobile Money Bill Alternate Moon Motorcycle Mouse Pointer Music Neuter Newspaper Medical Notes Object Group Object Ungroup Outdent Paint Brush Pallet Paper Plane Paperclip Parachute Box paragraph Paste pause Pause Circle Paw Pen Square Alternate Pencil People Carry Percent Phone Phone Slash Phone Square Phone Volume Piggy Bank Pills plane play Play Circle Plug plus Plus Circle Plus Square Podcast Poo Portrait Pound Sign Power Off Prescription Bottle Alternate Prescription Bottle print Procedures Puzzle Piece qrcode Question Question Circle Quidditch quote-left quote-right random Recycle Redo Alternate Redo Registered Trademark Reply reply-all Retweet Ribbon road rocket rss RSS Square Ruble Sign Indian Rupee Sign Save Search Search Minus Search Plus Seedling Server Share Alternate Share Alternate Share Square Share Square Shekel Sign Alternate Shield Ship Shipping Fast Shopping Bag Shopping Basket shopping-cart Shower Sign Alternate Sign In Sign Language Alternate Sign Out signal Sitemap Horizontal Sliders Smile Smoking Snowflake Sort Sort Alpha Down Sort Alpha Up Sort Amount Down Sort Amount Up Sort Down (Descending) Sort Numeric Down Sort Numeric Up Sort Up (Ascending) Space Shuttle Spinner Square Square Full Star star-half step-backward step-forward Stethoscope Sticky Note stop Stop Circle Stopwatch Street View Strikethrough subscript Subway Suitcase Sun superscript Sync Alternate Sync Syringe table Table Tennis tablet Alternate Tablet Tablets Alternate Tachometer tag tags Tape Tasks Taxi Terminal text-height text-width th th-large th-list Thermometer Thermometer Empty Thermometer Full Thermometer 1/2 Full Thermometer 1/4 Full Thermometer 3/4 Full thumbs-down thumbs-up Thumbtack Alternate Ticket Times Times Circle tint Toggle Off Toggle On Trademark Train Transgender Alternate Transgender Trash Alternate Trash Tree trophy truck Truck Loading Truck Moving TTY Television Umbrella Underline Undo Alternate Undo Universal Access University unlink unlock Alternate Unlock Upload User Alternate User User Alt-slash User Astronaut User Check User Circle User Clock User Cog User Edit User Friends User Graduate User Lock user-md User Minus User Ninja Add User User Secret User Shield User Slash User Tag User Tie Remove User Users Users Cog Utensil Spoon Utensils Venus Venus Double Venus Mars Vial Vials Video Video Slash Volleyball Ball volume-down volume-off volume-up Warehouse Weight Wheelchair WiFi Window Close Window Maximize Window Minimize Window Restore Wine Glass Won Sign Wrench X-Ray Yen Sign