Educational Financial Support

Young people who stay at Schools or College or who decide to go to University may be able to claim Financial Support to meet their individual learning.  This could include specialist equipment to enable learning.


The 16-19 Bursary Fund replaced the EMA (Education Maintenance Allowance) system in England.  The Bursary is aimed at helping to support Education related costs including transport, books and other equipment required for the course.

There are two types of Bursaries:

Vulnerable Students Bursary- A young person who receives either DLA or PIP in addition to Employment and Support Allowance or Universal Credit, may be entitled to a Vulnerable Students Bursary of up to £1,200 a year.

Discretional Bursary- A young person may be entitled to a Discretional Bursary if they need financial help but do not qualify for a Vulnerable Student Bursary. Their Education or Training Provider decides how much they can get and what it can be used for.  Discretional Bursaries can be paid to students over the age of 19 if they have an EHC Plan or are continuing on a course which was started between the ages of 16-18.

For more information contact the Student Finance Department or click here (link to