Personal Independence Payments (PIP)

In April 2013 Personal Independence Payments (PIP) replaced Disability Living Allowance for people aged 16-64 who have a Health Condition or Disability whereby they:

  • Have had difficulties with daily living or getting around (or both) for 3 months
  • Expect these difficulties to continue for at least 9 months (unless you're terminally ill with less than 6 months to live.

The payments are based on an Assessment of Individual Needs and looks at the impact that a condition has on a person's daily life, not the condition itself. PIP is made up of two parts; a Mobility Component (based on your child’s ability to get around) and a Daily Living Component (based on their ability to carry out key activities essential to daily life). A person may qualify for either one or both of these components for which they can receive a Standard or Enhanced Rate.

 Transferring from DLA to PIP at 16

Young people who receive DLA will need to be reassessed under PIP when they turn 16, even if their DLA award was not due to run out at this point. The only exceptions to this are:

  •  If a young person is claiming DLA under the special rules for the terminally ill.
  • If a young person is in hospital as an in-patient on the date they would be asked to claim PIP. In this situation the young person’s DLA payments will be extended until they are discharged from hospital.

 Before your child turns 16, the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) will contact you, as their parent, to let you know how to claim PIP and to find out whether your child will need an Appointee. An Appointee is a person, usually a parent or carer, who is responsible for making the claims on their behalf. Shortly after your child turns 16, the DWP will then send another letter to your child (or to you if you have been made their appointee) inviting them to make a claim for PIP.

 DLA payments will continue until a decision has been reached on a PIP claim. However if a person fails to make a claim for PIP, when they are invited to do so, their DLA will be stopped.

 Effects on other Benefits and Entitlements

PIP is not means tested or based on National Insurance Contributions. It can be paid to those in paid employment or those who are not in work.

Those who receive an Enhanced Rate Mobility Component may be able to make use of the Motability scheme

In addition, carers of those who receive the Daily Living Component may be eligible for Carer’s Allowance.

Being in receipt of PIP and Universal Credit or ESA may also entitle a young person to Educational Bursaries if they wish to stay on in Education.  

For more information on Personal Independence Payments click here.