Employment Support Allowance (ESA)

This is a Benefit to support people over 16 years of age who have an illness or disability that makes it difficult for them to work. In order to make an application a Young Person would have to provide a Medical Certificate from their GP. They are also likely to have to go through a ‘Work Capability Assessment’ within the first few months of claiming in order to ensure that they have a long term limited ability to work (Unless they are a student with disabilities).  

There are two types of ESA that can be awarded, Contribution-Based and Income-Related. Most young people applying for this Benefit will not have made enough National Insurance Contributions to claim Contribution-Based ESA and so will likely receive Income-Related. Income-Related ESA depends on the money you have coming in and your savings and is usually not paid to young people in school or in full-time advanced education. However, if your Young Person is in Education and is in receipt of Personal Independence Payments (or DLA) they may still be able to claim.


Effects on other Benefits and Entitlements

If your son/daughter claims ESA whilst still in Education (or if you claim for them), other Benefits that you may be claiming including Child Benefit and/or Income-Related

Benefits (like Income Support, Housing Benefit, Jobseekers Allowance and Child Tax Credit) may be affected.


If your son/ daughter is aged 18 or over and getting residential or community care services through the Local Authority's Adult Social Care Team, getting ESA or Universal Credit could lead to them being asked to pay some charges towards those services.


Carers Allowance 

Universal Credit 

Direct Payments 

Local Support Payments 

Tax Credit 

Housing Benefits and Grants 

Disabled Students Allowance