Text Size: A A A

Transition and Adult Social Services

Transition is a process where an individual transfers from children’s services to adult services.

The Transition process should begin when the young person who you are caring for turns 14 years old (year 9 at school). However, in practice the transition process may not start until a year or a few months before your young person leaves full time education.

You have to ensure that your young person continues to receive the support he/she needs and consider their plans for the future, such as further education, work, their social life and where they will live. For more information about Transition, you can contact your social worker or the RBKC Transition Team.

You can also download Full of Life’s Transition Guide and Transition Guide Notebook from the Full of Life Website www.fulloflifekc.com/publications/index.php

Full of Life · A self-help group managed by parents of children with disabilities

This guide was updated in 2016 with information about the process of Transition from Children's Services to Adult Services in the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea. It includes information about Education, Employment, Social Care, Benefits, Lasting Power of Attorney, Housing…and much more.

Hard copies of both the Transition Guide and Notebook are freely available from the Full of Life Offices, contact us if you would like a copy on info@fulloflifekc.com / 0208 962 9994

For more information and support with Transition contact Full of Life’s Carers’ Advocacy Service.

Full of Life’s Carers’ Advocacy Service provides independent practical support, advice and information on the following:

  • Issues relating to Social Services, such as Carer’s Assessments, Needs Assessments and Access to Services.
  • Support with Transition from Children to Adult Services.
  • Education advice (16plus).
  • General information and advice relating to benefits and housing.
  • Form filling (Benefits, grants and applications).
  • Support attending meetings/reviews.
  • Complaints (support and advice).
  • Liaising with services and professionals to access the best support for families.
  • Provides a quarterly newsletter for parent carers.
Full of Life · A self-help group managed by parents of children with disabilities

The Carers’ Advocacy Service also works to ensure that parent carers and their families are at the heart of service development.
Contact Details:
Full of Life
Kensal House Annex
379 Ladbroke Grove
W10 5BQ.

Samantha Peters (Carers’ Advocate)
T: 0208 962 9917
E: advocacy@fulloflifekc.com

The Carers’ Advocacy Service operates Mondays to Fridays 10am-5pm, by appointment only.

Transition Team (14-18)

In the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea the Adult Social Services team for people with learning disabilities aged over the age of 18 is called the Learning Disability Team. The Learning Disability Team is similar to the Children with Disabilities Team, in the way it will provide services to meet the assessed needs of an individual with learning disabilities.

Although your child will not be accessing the Learning Disability Team until they reach the age of 18, the process of transition from Children’s services to Adult services will usually start anytime from the age of 14. This period of Transition is dealt with by the RBKC Transition Team.

This is a specialised team where professionals from Social Care and Health plan an individual’s transition from children to adult services. Full of Life was instrumental in its development after identifying the need for a single assessment team during the often complex time of transition.

Transferring from Children’s Services to Adult Services

As your young person leaves full time education the Transition Team will carry out a Needs Assessment to determine their needs. This assessment is to ensure that when they turn 18 years old, the Learning Disability Team will be aware of their needs.

You will need three documents to ensure that your young person’s services continue into adulthood. Make sure you save a copy of each document and keep them safe.

  1. Learning Disability Team Needs Assessment: Your young person would have already had a Needs Assessment by the Transition Team, however when your young person turns 18 years old the Learning Disabilities Team will carry out another Needs Assessment. It is always important for you to ask to have a Needs Assessment one to one with your social worker/care manager as this assessment will best reflect the needs of your young person.
  2. Carer’s Assessment: You as a carer also have the right to have a Carers Assessment which will also be carried out by the Learning Disabilities Team. Even though the ‘Carer’s View’ would be included in your young person’s Needs Assessment, it is important that you also complete the Carer’s Assessment as it is more likely to reflect your needs as a carer.
  3. Care Plan: It is vital that this new Care Plan is correct and that it fully represents and quantifies your young person’s needs and what services they need to access, such as speech and language therapists, transport and short breaks.

Make sure that you are happy with the service providers and that you agree with every detail of your needs and your young person’s needs.

RBKC Transition Team
The Town Hall
Hornton Street
W8 7NX

Tel: 020 7313 6843

Email: socialservices@rbkc.gov.uk

Learning Disability Team (18+ RBKC)

The team offers assessments and packages of care and support plans to enable an individual (18 years upwards) who has been assessed as having a learning disability to live as independently as possible.

The team provides a multi-disciplinary service made up of social workers, care managers, community nurses, occupational therapists, physiotherapists, psychologists, speech and language therapists and psychiatrists.

Local Authorities normally have eligibility criteria to determine whether someone can receive social care services. This is largely based on the Fair access to care services (FACS) guidance.

The criteria may vary between Local Authorities, but should include the following points:

  • There is a critical risk to your independence and wellbeing– for example, you are unable to wash, dress or feed yourself.
  • There is a substantial risk to your independence and wellbeing – for example, you are unable to carry on with many areas of your employment or education.
  • Your needs may be due to a physical or learning disability or a mental health condition – however, temporary medical conditions are not usually covered.

Contact: 020 7313 6880 – Main Office, 020 7313 6843 – Duty Worker), 020 7373 2227 – Emergency Out of Hours Duty Service.

Address: 1-9 St Marks Road, LONDON, W11 1RG

Direct Payments

Following an assessment, a person with a disability will be awarded a Personal Budget. This is an indicative amount of money, which is given by the Local Authority (and other funding streams), to meet the individual's identified care and support needs. It can be received in two ways:

Self-Assessment Questionnaire (SAQ)

A Self-Assessment Questionnaire is an assessment used to determine the minimum amount of money that is required to provide services to meet the needs of your young person. This is a simple tick box form which you can either complete yourself or with a social worker.

It is essential that you specifically request to complete these assessments one to one with your social worker. This means that it is more likely that the Care Plan better reflects and quantifies your needs and your young person’s needs.

The SAQ is not a statutory requirement, which means that you can choose whether or not you wish to complete it.

How you can receive your services:

Personal Budget: is an indicative amount of funding given to people with disabilities, after an assessment called the Personal Budget Assessment, which should be sufficient to meet their assessed needs. You can choose how you would like to receive the Personal Budget.

Receiving the Personal Budget as a Direct Payment: One option is Direct payments, where you receive the money directly to pay for services yourself. Direct payments confer responsibilities on the recipient to decide how their child's needs are met, either by employing people, often known as personal assistants, or by commissioning services. This can offer greater choice and flexibility and you and your social worker will work together to choose appropriate services to meet the needs of your child. Receiving a personal budget in the form of a Direct Payment means that you manage the spending and have to ensure that you do not over spend this budget or use money in ways which are not in line with the guidelines as this can result in you having to pay the money back. You must also keep all receipts and records of your expenditure of the Personal Budget as all public money must be accounted for.

Independent Support Brokers: In the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea there are Independent Support Brokers who can manage your money for you. For more information about Independent Support Brokers contact your social worker or the Learning Disabilities Team on 020 7313 6880.

Alternative to receiving a Personal Budget as a Direct Payment:

If you decide you do not want to receive the money directly to pay for services to meet your child's needs, the Children with Disabilities Team can manage both the money and the type of services that will be used to meet the needs of your child. This should be done in line with your wishes.

Continuing Healthcare: If the primary needs of your child are health related then the services will either be fully or partly provided by The Department of Health.

It is important to note that The Personal Budget is OPTIONAL, as it is not a statutory requirement. However the Personal Budget is generally used in practice by the Children with Disabilities Team. If you decide against the Personal Budget, the Local Authority will make sure that your child will continue to receive services as dictated by their needs assessment and care plan.

For more information contact Full of Life’s Carers’ Advocate Samantha Peters on 0208 962 9917 or email advocacy@fulloflifekc.com