Text Size: A A A

Financial Help

Financial help is available to families of disabled children/adults due to the well documented evidence indicating that caring for a disabled child/adult is not only expensive but also a full time role, making it difficult to access paid work.

It is also important to see if you are eligible for the Disability Living Allowance/Personal Independence Payment or Carers Allowance, as these benefits can open the door to many other services that you may not know of or would have access to. For example, if you claim Disability Living Allowance you may also be eligible for the Blue Badge disabled parking scheme.

When applying for these benefits make sure you have supporting medical evidence, such as clinic and therapist reports.

Who to Contact About Disability and Carers Benefits

For more information about benefits you can contact your social worker or keyworker. You can also contact Full of Life for advice and support filling out benefit forms.

Full of Life Family Support Service (0-14, RBKC)

Julia McSweeney, Family Support Worker.

Full of Life, Kensal House Annex. 379 Ladbroke Grove, London W10 5BQ.

Tel: 0208 962 9994
Email: familysupport@fulloflifekc.com
Service Available: Fridays (Answering machine service available).


Full of Life Carers’ Advocacy Service (14+ RBKC)

Samantha Peters, Carers’ Advocate.

Full of Life, Kensal House Annex. 379 Ladbroke Grove, London W10 5BQ.

Tel: 0208 962 9917
Email: advocacy@fulloflifekc.com
Service Available: Monday – Friday (Answering machine service available).

DLA, PIP and Carer’s Allowance

Disability Living Allowance (DLA) is a benefit provided to help support children under 16 who have care and mobility needs greater than those of a child of the same age who does not have a disability.

Who can receive Disability Living Allowance?

DLA is a benefit to help with the extra costs of raising a disabled child and is therefore not means-tested.

You can receive DLA for your child if:

Your child's disability or health condition means that one or both of the following apply:

  • they need more looking after than a child of the same age who doesn't have a disability.
  • they have difficulty getting about.

They must have had these difficulties for at least 3 months and expect them to last for at least 6 months. If they're terminally ill (that is, not expected to live more than 6 months), they don't need to have had these difficulties for 3 months.

For more information or to apply for DLA please click here


How much will you receive?

DLA has two parts called ‘components':

A care component - relating to care in addition to what would be perceived as 'expected' for a child of their age

The rate the child gets depends on the level of looking after they need, for example:

  • lowest rate - help for some of the day or night
  • middle rate - frequent help or constant supervision during the day, supervision at night or someone to help while they're on dialysis
  • highest rate - help or supervision throughout both day and night, or they're terminally ill.

A mobility component - relating to support they need in moving around

The rate the child gets depends on the level of help they need getting about, for example:

  • lowest rate - they can walk but need help and or supervision when outdoors
  • highest rate - they can't walk, can only walk a short distance without severe discomfort, could become very ill if they try to walk or they're blind, severely sight impaired.

You may be paid either one or both of these components. To qualify for either, your child must satisfy the DLA disability tests for 3 months before being paid and be likely to do so for at least 6 months afterwards, unless they're terminally ill.

Your child can receive only one rate from each component.


Effect on other benefits and entitlements

When you receive DLA it may increase the amount of other benefits or credits you’re entitled to, such as Income Support, Pension Credit, Housing Benefit, Council Tax Benefit, Working Tax Credit and Child Tax Credit.

However in April 2013 Personal Independence Payment replaced DLA for over 16 year olds. This is being rolled out over a number of years across the UK. Please click here for 'Personal Independence Payment'information.

Personal Independence Payment (16-64)

In April 2013 Personal Independence Payment replaced DLA for people over 16 year olds. Please click here for 'Personal Independence Payment'information

Personal Independence Payment (PIP) is based on an assessment of individual needs and looks at the impact that a condition has on a person's daily life, not the condition itself.

Who is entitled to PIP?

The individual must be aged 16 to 64 and have a health condition or disability whereby they:

  • have had difficulties with daily living or getting around (or both) for 3 months
  • expect these difficulties to continue for at least 9 months (unless you're terminally ill with less than 6 months to live.

For more information on eligibility or how to apply for PIP please click here

The assessment is carried out by a healthcare professional to work out the level of support that a person can receive. Information will be gathered from the individual, healthcare professionals and other professionals who work with the person. Most people will also be asked to a face to face consultation with a trained independent assessor as part of the claim process. Your young person can be supported throughout this process by friends, family and advocates.

The PIP awarded level of support will be regularly reviewed to ensure that it is correct.

Disability Living Allowance claimants with indefinite awards will only start to be reassessed from October 2015.

Carer’s Allowance

Carer’s Allowance is a taxable benefit to help people who look after someone who is disabled. You do not have to be related to, or live with, the person that you care for. However you must report any change in your circumstances if you’re claiming or have applied for Carer’s Allowance, such as getting a job or taking a break from caring.

Who can receive Carer’s Allowance?

You may be able to receive Carer’s Allowance if you are aged 16 or over and spend at least 35 hours a week caring for a person who gets either:

  • Personal Independence Payment - daily living component
  • Disability Living Allowance - the middle or highest care rate
  • Attendance Allowance
  • Constant Attendance Allowance at or above the normal maximum rate with an Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit
  • Constant Attendance Allowance at the basic (full day) rate with a War Disablement Pension
  • Armed Forces Independence Payment

To claim you must be over 16, and the following must apply:

  • you're 16 or over
  • you spend at least 35 hours a week caring for someone
  • you've been in England, Scotland or Wales for at least 2 of the last 3 years (this doesn't apply if you're a refugee or have humanitarian protection status)
  • you normally live in England, Scotland or Wales, or you live abroad as a member of the armed forces
  • you're not in full-time education
  • you're not studying for 21 hours a week or more
  • you earn no more than £116 a week after tax and some expenses - these will be assessed when you apply
  • you're not subject to immigration control

Carers who are themselves disabled can claim. You can only get one award for Carer's Allowance even if you care for more than one person.

For more information please click here

Universal Credit

Universal Credit is a monthly payment for people who are on low income or are out of work.

It's being rolled out in stages across the UK and is replacing all means tested benefits including Employment Support Allowance, Jobseekers Allowance, Child Tax Credit, Income Support, Housing Benefit and Working Tax Credit.

How much you can receive depends on your circumstances, including your income and how many children you have.

For more information you can contact the Department of Work and Pensions (DWP) or your local Jobcentre.

Benefit Cap (16-64)

The benefit cap was introduced in 2013 to limit on the total amount of benefits that most people aged 16 to 64 can get.

The cap will apply to the total amount that the people in your household receive from the following benefits:

  • Bereavement Allowance
  • Child Benefit
  • Child Tax Credit
  • Employment and Support Allowance
  • Housing Benefit
  • Incapacity Benefit
  • Income Support
  • Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • Maternity Allowance
  • Severe Disablement Allowance
  • Widowed Parent’s Allowance (or Widowed Mother’s Allowance or Widows Pension you started getting before 9 April 2001)
  • Universal Credit

Exemptions from the benefit cap

You're not affected by the cap if you or your partner:

  • work enough hours to get Working Tax Credit (even if you're not claiming it)
  • are over Pension Credit age
  • get Universal Credit because of a disability or health condition that stops you from working (this is called 'limited capability for work and work-related activity')
  • get Universal Credit and your household's monthly income is more than £520 after tax and National Insurance contributions

You will also not be affected by the cap if you, your partner or any children under 18 living with you gets:

  • Armed Forces Compensation Scheme
  • Armed Forces Independence Payment
  • Attendance Allowance
  • Carer's Allowance
  • Disability Living Allowance (DLA)
  • Employment and Support Allowance (if you get the support component)
  • Guardian's Allowance
  • Industrial Injuries Benefits (and equivalent payments as part of a War Disablement - Pension or the Armed Forces Compensation Scheme)
  • Personal Independence Payment (PIP)
  • War pensions
  • War Widow's or War Widower's Pension

For more information or support please contact the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP)

If you are already receiving benefits and could be affected by the cap you’ll be contacted by the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP). They will let you know what will happen to your benefits.

Local Support Payments

Local support payments are emergency funds provided by the Local Authority due to an emergency or crisis or to help remain or settle into a community. This is part of a national government initiative to hand over the responsibility of crises loans to Local Authorities and organisations.

The payments are not usually in the form of money but instead are good quality, second hand furniture or white goods (for example, refrigerators or washing machines) or store vouchers.

To claim you have to show you have limited savings and be receiving one of the following benefits:

  • Income Support
  • Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
  • Income-based Jobseeker's Allowance
  • Pension Credit
  • Incapacity Benefit
  • Disability Living Allowance
  • Personal Independence Payment
  • Attendance Allowance, maximum Universal Credit (where the latest award has not been reduced by earnings or other income).

For more information and advice about RBKC Local Support Payments, contact Full of Life on 0208 962 9994 / info@fulloflifekc.com

Tax Credits

Tax credits are payments from the government. If you’re responsible for at least one child (under the age of 16) or young person (under the age of 20 in education/training) who normally lives with you, you may qualify for Child Tax Credit. If you work, but earn low wages, you may qualify for Working Tax Credit.

Who can get tax credits?

Nine out of ten families with children get tax credits, but you don’t need to have children to qualify. You may also qualify if you are working and earning a low wage.

How much do you get?

The amount of tax credits you get depends on the following:

  • How many children you have living with you
  • Whether you work and how many hours you work
  • Your income
  • If you pay for childcare
  • If you or any child living with you has a disability
  • If you’re aged 50 plus and are coming off benefits


How tax credits work

If you’re married or living with a partner you’ll need to make a joint claim for tax credits. You can only make a single claim if you don’t have a partner.

The Tax Credit Office pay tax credits directly into your bank, building society, Post Office account or National Savings account if it accepts Direct Payment either weekly or every four weeks.

Who will receive the payments?

If you’re both working and you both qualify for Working Tax Credit, you can decide who’ll get the payments. If you’re claiming Child Tax Credit and you’re in a couple you need to decide which one of you is the children’s main carer. If you’re the main carer then the money will be paid to you.


Tax Credit Helpline on 0345 300 3900 or textphone 0345 300 3909