Text Size: A A A

Children’s Social Services

Social Services can offer extra support to your disabled child and your family. In Kensington and Chelsea there are a variety of social services teams and a worker from one of these teams will be allocated to your child after a referral. You can be referred by a relevant professional or you can refer yourself by calling the Duty Social Worker line on 0207 598 4921.

The allocated social/key worker will then complete an assessment of your child’s needs relating to his/her disability. We advise that this assessment is carried out face to face and that all relevant information is written down. This assessment must reflect all the needs of your child and your family. Also ensure that you see a copy of the assessment and check that the information gives a full picture of your child and family’s needs.

Full of Life · A self-help group managed by parents of children with disabilities

You should explain that you have been advised that given your child’s disability s/he is a child in need under section 17 of the Childrens Act 1989 and that this means that your child has a right to an assessment of his/her needs.

The Local Authority is required to inform you whether it will carry out an assessment within one working day of receiving the request for the assessment. The professionals undertaking the assessments should follow the policy and practice guidance for the assessment of children in need. This guidance is called (in both England and Wales) the Framework for the Assessment of Children in Need and their Families. This guidance has been superseded by Working Together to Safeguard Children (2013) in 15 April 2013. You can see a copy of the assessment framework on page 20.

Your child’s assessment should take into account your needs and the needs of other family members (and ‘significant others’). In addition, you can request an assessment of your needs as a carer under the Carers (Recognition and Services) Act 1995.

The Local Authority must take into account whether you work or wish to work and whether you have undertaken, or wish to undertake, any education, training or regular leisure activities under the Carers (Equal Opportunities) Act 2004.

Full of Life · A self-help group managed by parents of children with disabilities

If the Local Authority decides that your child and your family require help and support, then it must decide what type of help and support should be given. This information will be detailed in a ‘Care Package/Care Plan’, which will be reviewed annually to see if your needs have changed. But you and your family have a right to have a re-assessment at any time throughout the year if there have been any changes that will mean that your child and/or family will need more support.

Please see below for more information about how services and support can be put in place to meet the needs of your child and your family.

*Please note that information has been sourced from the Cerebra Disabled Children Parents’ Guide: Social Care, Housing and Health.

Children with Disabilities Team (0-18years) (RBKC)

Services are available to Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea (RBKC) residents who have a child aged 0 to 18 with a disability who is substantially affected in their everyday living by one or more of the following:

  • Global developmental delay
  • Physical impairment
  • A profound sensory impairment
  • A significantly disabling chronic ill health condition
  • Severe communication or language disorder
  • Autistic Spectrum Disorder with communication disorder and developmental delay
  • Learning disability
  • A serious life limiting or terminal illness

The team provides a full range of statutory social care services for disabled children, including child protection and looked after children in accordance with the Children Act 1989. The services provided are aimed towards normalising their lives and enabling them to do what other, non-disabled children can do without support and include:

  • St Quintin Centre for Disabled Children and Young People
  • One-to-one support at home
  • After school club and/or holiday play scheme
  • Saturday Care scheme
  • Residential short breaks
  • Direct Payment Scheme
  • The Haven
  • Transport

You can contact the Children with Disabilities Team directly. Referrals to the team can be made by young people, parents, carers and professionals. The initial way to contact the team is through our duty social worker who is available on 0207 598 4921 (9am to 5pm).

Contact Details

  • Keyworkers (a service for children aged 0-7years) based at St Quintins 020 8968 2570
  • Duty Social Workers: 020 7598 4921
  • Senior Social Workers, Jowita Poniewska 020 7598 4926
  • Team Manager, Dawn Saunders 020 7598 4924

Full of Life Family Support Service (0-14) (RBKC)

Family Support Service offers independent advice and information on the following:

  • Benefits, such as Disability Living Allowance and Carers Allowance.
  • Issues relating to Housing, Health and Social Services.
  • Preparation for meetings.
  • Support with complaints.
  • Liaising with various Statutory Departments that support families such as Social Service and Health.

You can contact the Full of Life Family Support service directly on 0208 962 9994 / familysupport@fulloflifekc.com

Early Help Team (0 – 19years) RBKC

This is a multi-agency service incorporating professionals from Early Years, Family Support, School Attendance and Youth Support. The Early Help Team work with families who have children aged 0-19, where there are indications of emerging difficulties and/or additional needs and offer a range of different interventions, including;

Contact Details

Tel: 020 7598 4608 / 020 7598 4601 or email earlyhelp@rbkc.gov.uk

St Quintins Key Worker Service (0-7years) RBKC

The Key Worker Service helps families find out about the different services which are available to offer support to a child with a disability. The service provides emotional support to the family, makes appropriate referrals to other professionals, helps with benefit and other applications, liaises with other professionals and co-ordinates services.

A child under the age of six is eligible if they show a delay in more than one area of development, which could significantly affect their everyday living, and may include:

  • global developmental delay
  • a learning disability
  • a sensory impairment
  • a physical impairment
  • chronic ill health or medical problems
  • a serious life limiting or terminal illness
  • a severe communication or language disorder
  • an Autistic Spectrum disorder with associated learning disability

Referrals can be made directly by the family or professionals involved in the family.

Contact: 020 8968 2570

Locality Team (0-19) RBKC

The Locality Team offers support and access to services for children and young people with additional needs. Individuals with the following conditions will be assessed for services:

  • High functioning Autism and Aspergers
  • Emotional and behavioural difficulties that are not due to one of the areas listed above (this includes ADHD)
  • Mental health conditions
  • Dyslexia, Dyspraxia (learning difficulties as opposed to learning disabilities)
  • Speech and language delays

The services available to support a child with Aspergers, ADHD, and Mental Health

Problems and their family are as follows:

  • Locality SW service (Sign posting & Family work )
  • Local CAMHS (Behavioural support and management ADHD and Mental Health & Aspergers )
  • BFST ( Behavioural support and management Aspergers)
  • Additional support in accessing mainstream play during the holidays through the Disability inclusion fund.
  • Additional support in accessing mainstream after school provision Support in the home Direct payments Respite fostering
  • St Quintin (social skills group for Aspergers).
  • St Quintin holiday and after school provision for Aspergers children excluded from and unable to access other services.

To have an assessment, families can either self-refer or be referred by a professional. A carers assessment will also be completed if requested.

Contact: 020 7361 3013 / socialservices@rbkc.gov.uk

Occupational Therapy (Social Services 0-18years) RBKC

This service offers advice on managing the difficulties caused by physical/cognitive disability, equipment to help with daily living and personal care, minor home adaptations, such as grab rails and stair rails and major structural alterations to kitchens and bathrooms, stair lifts and ramps.

Equipment is provided free on a “permanent loan” basis. Some major adaptations may be funded via a Disabled Facilities Grant, for which there is a means test, and some contributions may be required.

Value Added Tax (VAT) relief on equipment and services

Some goods may qualify for VAT relief if the item has been designed, or adapted, solely for a disable person’s use. This includes some medical appliances, certain adjustable beds and hoists and some adapted vehicles.

Services that may qualify for relief include: installation of equipment, adaptation of equipment and certain building alterations.

If you need information about Occupational Therapy provided by the Department of Health, which provides help and support relating to sensory issues, motor skills, feeding, dressing and physical education, please click here.

For more information about other therapies,please click the following links:
Occupational Therapy
Speech and Language Therapy
Music Therapy
Special Yoga

Contact Information:

The Occupational Therapy Service can be found in two locations within RBKC:

North: Westway Information Centre, 140 Ladbroke Grove, W10.

South: Earl’s Court Neighbourhood Office, 282 Earl’s Court Road, SW5

Tel: 020 7361 3013 Email: socialservices@rbkc.gov.uk

Direct Payments

Following an assessment, a person with a disability will be awarded a Personal Budget. This is an indicative amount of money, which is given by the Local Authority (and other funding streams), to meet the individual's identified care and support needs. It can be received in two ways:

Receiving a Personal Budget as Direct Payments:

One option is Direct payments, where you receive the money directly to pay for services yourself. Direct payments confer responsibilities on the recipient to decide how their child's needs are met, either by employing people, often known as personal assistants, or by commissioning services. This can offer greater choice and flexibility and you and your social worker will work together to choose appropriate services to meet the needs of your child. Receiving a personal budget in the form of a Direct Payment means that you manage the spending and have to ensure that you do not over spend this budget or use money in ways which are not in line with the guidelines as this can result in you having to pay the money back. You must also keep all receipts and records of your expenditure of the Personal Budget as all public money must be accounted for.

Alternative to receiving a Personal Budget as a Direct Payment:

If you decide you do not want to receive the money directly to pay for services to meet your child's needs, the Children with Disabilities Team can manage both the money and the type of services that will be used to meet the needs of your child. This should be done in line with your wishes.

Continuing Healthcare: If the primary needs of your child are health related then the services will either be fully or partly provided by The Department of Health.

It is important to note that The Personal Budget is OPTIONAL, as it is not a statutory requirement. However the Personal Budget is generally used in practice by the Children with Disabilities Team. If you decide against the Personal Budget, the Local Authority will make sure that your child will continue to receive services as dictated by their needs assessment and care plan.

However you cannot over spend this budget and if the money is not used within the Personal Budget guidelines, you will have to pay the money back. You must also keep all receipts and records of your expenditure of the Personal Budget as all public money must be accounted for.

For more information contact Full of Life’s Family Support Worker on 0208 962 9994 or email familysupport@fulloflifekc.com